After reading the headline, you’re probably thinking…”Doesn’t my audience choose me? Isn’t that what I’m trying to do…get people to subscribe?”
Well, “Yes” and…”No.” Yes. You do want to get followers, to get people to sign up, to opt in, to receive your email messages. But it matters who you attract. Let me repeat that…it matters…who you attract.
Most of you have probably heard of “The Secret“…the 2006 Rhonda Byrne self-help spirituality best seller that talks about her discovery of what she calls “the law of attraction.” Byrne says is the most powerful law in the universe, and states that people experience the logical manifestations of their predominant thoughts, feelings, and words. The book has created significant controversy…which in turn…created opportunities for lots of other people.
I mention it in conjunction with email marketing because there is a connection between your words and what you manifest. I also believe there is a connection between your thoughts and feelings and what you manifest. In marketing, however, there are libraries of psychological reasons that support the conclusion that your words connect directly to what you get.
So who do you want for your audience in email marketing? One of the major criticisms of The Secret is its lack of any requirement for action. Perhaps the author intuitively believed focused positive thoughts would lead to focused positive action. No matter. Whatever her thoughts were…or weren’t…on this topic, you will need to take action to acquire the email audience you desire.
The following action steps will allow you to attract…and keep…that audience:
- Decide who to attract.
- You want someone who is genuinely interested in what you have to offer, so where would those people be found? What other websites, publications, or blogs are your target market viewing or reading? Subscribe to any publications that will help you determine what your target audience finds relevant.
- Decide what sets you apart.
- What is your unique value proposition? What can you offer than your desired audience can’t get elsewhere?
- Decide what unique product or service will attract the audience you desire.
- Structure your website — an invitation to your desired audience to participate with you in an adveture created specifically for them.
- Deliver what you promise.
- Let your words come from you…that genuine, real you that has a unique perspective that your readers will enjoy…that they….because your words manifested your desire to reach out to them…choose to receive.
- Don’t waste your time and effort.
- Nurture your relationship carefully, and build it with help from your readers whenever you can. When you get subscribers who don’t open your emails, and don’t take any action over a long period of time, however, dump them. Make room and leave more energy to attract those who are more closely aligned.
You can choose your audience for email marketing…by creating an environment that attracts exactly the subscribers you want. Let your feelings and your thoughts be reflected in the passion of your words. Let your actions attract and build customer relationships that last.